October 2011 Favourites

2 November 2011

October 2011 Favourites

I think this is the earliest in to a new month that I've managed to write a monthly favourites, as I was very eager to put this up. I think from now on, I will aim to put the post up on the actual last day of the month. Seems a lot more fitting that way!

On to what I have been loving throughout the month of October...



1. L'oreal Voluminous x5 Mascara - this is an oldie but a goodie! I have used this mascara in the past but then I started to shun it in favour of trying out new ones instead. After being disappointed by a MaxFactor (not sure of the name, purple packaging though?) mascara recently I decided to pick up Voluminous again for the bargainous price of £6 and I have been seriously impressed by how it makes my lashes look. When I use Voluminous, my lashes look fluttery and full - just what I want from a mascara.

2. Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant - oh my gosh, can you say HG product here?! I can't believe I have only recently discovered this product. Basically, it is an exfoliator that is applied like a face mask and then rinsed off - so no little scrubby bits like your usual exfoliators. I really prefer this type of exfoliation now that I have tried it, as I find an exfoliator that really scrubs at your skin can be too harsh and actually make my pores look worse. Not to mention that vigorous exfoliation can lead to broken capillaries! I use this product twice a week and it leaves my skin as soft as a baby's bum :)

3. MAC Select Moisture Cover Concealer NW20 - another product that I can't believe I have only just discovered. I really love this concealer as it does an excellent job of covering up spots and dark circles, yet it never feels or looks cakey. I used to more cream based concealers (such as Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer, Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, MAC Studio Fix concealer...), but lately I have found they can emphasise any spots that are dry and cake up under my eyes. What I love most is that my shade - NW20 - seems to blend perfectly in to whatever foundation I am using, whether it is lighter or darker.

4. He-Shi Day to Day Gradual Tanner - this product is PERFECT for this time of year. Now that my real tan from summer is gradually fading, I have been using He-Shi's gradual tanner once a week to subtly inject some colour back in to my skin. I feel I look much healthier with a tan, so it's nice to keep a little sunkissed glow. I imagine I will use this product all year round until summer again. What makes this product stand out amongst other gradual tanners is that the colour is perfect every time - no streaks here! It is also is the least offensive smelling tan I've ever used - bonus!

5. Too Faced Primed and Poreless Primer - when I look in the mirror I have noticed my pores around my nose have been becoming more prominent which kind of upset me. I decided to take action and since using the Too Faced primer I can definitely see a difference. It leaves my skin feeling like velvet and my foundation now goes on seemlessly without accentuating my pores at all. This is one of my first Too Faced products and I'm excited to explore more products from the brand :)


Finally, I will leave you with my favourite song from October: Florence and The Machine - Shake It Out from her gorgeous new album, Ceremonials.


Ceremonials came out on 28th October, and is currently available to download from Amazon for just £3.99 as it is their album of the week :)

I have had the pleasure of seeing Florence live a few times - most notably my university's summer ball last year - and I hope I can see her again in the near future!

Looking forward to everyone else's favourites,

Lydia xox

9 comments:

  1. Great post. I really want to try the Dermalogica exfoliator now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like these sort of mini face masks, I'm using soap and glorys' version at the moment which is pretty good, have you tried it?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I will have to check out the Too Faced primer - my pores are awful at the moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eloise - no I haven't but I have heard of it before by other bloggers, I will definitely check it out in Boots next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try the Too faced primer, i have heard so many good things about it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a good review, your blog is so lovely by the ways, i will be visiting it again very soon :)

    http://haveapeekinsidemywardrobe.blogspot.com/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. well hello hello hello :-) love your blog! just started following ya


    Jessica xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooo obsessed with this song Lydia- I think I have OCD with it haha
    That primer sounds so good! I have to try it- I love too faced atm and my pores are really starting to bother me lately too!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shake it out is my favourite song at the moment, can't get enough of the lovely Florence! I love the sound of that exfoliator as i find gritty ones tend to make my acne look even worse! xx

    ReplyDelete