Author I Love... Maggie Alderson

19 April 2011

Author I Love... Maggie Alderson

Hello everyone!

It's not often that I stray away from the topic of make-up and beauty products on this blog, but today I will make that exception for my absolute favourite author. I know some of you in the beauty community are big readers and have posted your own book reviews, so I thought those you who are bookworms might appreciate this post :-)

I first discovered Maggie Alderson in 2004 when my mum bought me Handbags and Gladrags for Christmas. I read it in less than a week, which is speedy for me! I loved it, it was the first book in ages that I hadn't been able to put down, and so I set about getting the rest of her books. These have all been read sporadically through the last 6 years so you won't be getting a full on review of each book I'm afraid. I mainly just wanted to bring attention to the author so you can go off and discover them for yourself.



What I love about Maggie's books is that the great detail on fashion and the detail of the locations her books are set in. But Maggie Alderson is not only an author, you see - she is a fashion journalist and former magazine editor. She used to be the editor of British Elle - which is coincidentally my favourite magazine - so you can see how she manages to use a lot of fashion details. This is a woman very much in the know! She has lived in both Australia and the UK, so this again all helps in her details of her book locations.

About a week ago I finished reading How To Break Your Own Heart for the first time, which I absolutely loved. By the end of the book I felt like I really knew these characters - and for me, the books that can do that are the best kind of books. I also loved all the details on London and Paris. A wonderfully written book that really made me feel for the main character.

Out of all of Maggie's books, I think that How To Break Your Own Heart, Cents and Sensibility and Handbags and Gladrags are my absolute favourites. But I do love love love all of her books, so if you spot them in a bookshop I really urge you to pick one up!

On a final note, Maggie has a new book out called Shall We Dance. It's not available in the UK yet though. Maggie actually told me herself on Twitter (which I was very excited about!) that she hasn't got a contract for it over here yet - but it is available in Australia. Fingers crossed it will come to the UK!


Lydia xox

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about new (to me) authors. I will definitely look out for these in charity shops (I don't buy new books, I read them too quickly to spend money on new ones. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of any books by this author but I'll be sure to check some out, thanks for the review! x

    ReplyDelete