Intensive Hair Conditioning

18 March 2010

Intensive Hair Conditioning

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a good week.

Today I decided to blog about what products I use to intensively condition my hair. I use an intensive conditioner on my hair once a week, sometimes twice if I have the time. Each time I do it I will use one of the three products below:


(L-R) Raw Virgin Coconut Oil, Lush H'Suan Wen Hua, Lush Retread.


Coconut Oil
This is a really inexpensive way to deeply condition your hair. I bought my tub at a health store for just £3.40! It is a tub that will last for what seems like a lifetime too! Make sure you buy the SOLID Coconut Oil. What I do is scoop a baby potato sized amount out of the pot, and rub it between my hands so that it turns into oil. This can get messy, so I do it over the sink. As soon as it melts into an oil, I run it through my (dry) hair - starting at the ends as this is the place that needs the most hydration. I slowly work my way up to the roots, but don't concentrate it too much on them as it can make your hair look greasy even after it's washed out!
What I do then is leave it on overnight, tied in a bun. I cannot stress enough the need to put a towel - or preferably two- down on your pillow. Mine seeped through the thin towel I had put down and I awoke to a greasy, oil infused pillow case underneath - argh!
To wash this out, I shampoo my hair twice and then condition as normal. Simples!

Lush H'Suan Wen Hua
This is probably my most favourite deep hair conditioner ever! A lot of people dislike the scent but I think it smells wonderful! At £8 a tub, it is on the pricey side - and to be totally honest it only lasts about 3 or 4 goes. But I'm incredibly pleased with the results it gives me, and therefore I am willing to pay the price!
This deep conditioner is to be applied before shampoo and conditioning. I apply this when I wake up in the morning, leave it on for about 20-30 minutes, then wash it out with shampoo and conditioner as normal. This isn't heavy feeling after it's been washed out - as some deep conditioners can often make your hair feel. It also claims to encourage hair growth if you massage it into your scalp when applying it - this is a BIG plus for me! And I kind of feel like it has helped my hair grow to its maximum potential.

Lush Retread
Dubbed as Lush's 'tripple strength conditioner' - this is meant to be the daddy of all deep conditioners! I'm not so keen on the scent of it, but it is pleasant enough. This is my least favourite of the three, but by no means do I dislike it. I have to like it a certain amount, to justify spending £8 on a tub! This tub lasts a lot longer than H'Suan Wen Hua by the way - despite containing almost the same amount in a tub - it is a thinner consistency and therefore a little goes a long way.
I use this in replacement of my every day conditioner, after shampooing as regular. I like to use this on days when I don't have a lot of time! It's quick, convenient and does the job nicely.

So there are my 3 favourites!

What deep conditioners do you all use? Is there something I desperately need to check out? Please do let me know!

Lydia xox

7 comments:

  1. That coconut oil looks good. I've been meaning to get some of that for ages! Must remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using coconut oil and I've been debating between those two Lush ones! I'm using an Elvive one at the minute, which is crap. I bought it for convenience really, but it just leaves my hair greasy and heavy :( Thanks for this post, H'Suan Wen Hua is now on my list I think xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bicky - definitely worth a go! I love it!

    @ Lollipop - I can't recommend H'Suan Wen Hua enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked H'Suan Wen Hua but it only lasted me about 3 uses so I couldn't justify spending so much on it. My favourite is Loreal professional absolut repair mask, works sooooooo well, last ages (which is good since it is quite pricey!) and makes my thick coarse hair alot smoother :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. im looking to try a lush conditioner. though i am abit dubious after buying 'big' shampoo which i didnt really like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the coconut oil sounds just like the Ojon oil product I tried! And way less expensive, I am so going to have to give this a go!
    I've tried both of these Lush babies and I agree they are great, but I sadlly don't like the smell either :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I usually use the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle which I love (gorgeous scent) but I think I will try the H'Suan Wen Hua.

    ReplyDelete