MAC Prep and Prime

23 January 2010

MAC Prep and Prime

Hey everyone, I've been slacking on the blogging front these last few days but I'm back!

I bought MAC's Prep and Prime primer months and months ago - so long that I can't even remember which month it was. Anyway, whilst at my parents home last week I was looking through my baskets of make-up and found it. I took it back to my university house to try out.


Initial thoughts: So, before a night out on Thursday I applied it all over my face as a base before my MAC SFF foundation. It made my skin feel smooth and plump, and I was really pleased with the results.

However...
image from Google.co.uk

What happened? Well, I woke up on Friday morning (having removed my make-up the night before thoroughly) and I looked in the mirror only to see about 6 tiny spots spread all over my face. Not good! I never break out to that capacity. When I break out I get one spot, sometimes two - usually in the same area. These spots were dotted around my face - two on my forehead, one on my cheek, one on my chin and two right on my lipline - how annoying!

Why did this happen? My initial thoughts were to blame the MAC Prep and Prime. All the other products I'd used a million times before and never had any problems. Plus, it's very strange for me to break out so bad.

Why it might be my fault: I checked the bottle and it says that it should only be kept for 6 months. So maybe it may be past it's date, but usually I don't follow thoese guidlines TOO carefully. At the most, it may be about 8 months old. On top of this, it says to avoid the lip area - which would explain my two spots on the lipline. Again, I don't follow products guidelines TOO carefully so this may be my own fault.

Has MAC's Prep and Prime affected anyone else's skin in this way?

I wanted to try their new Prep and Prime with spf in it, but now I'm understandably a bit apprehensive.

Lydia xox

8 comments:

  1. Hey Lydia,
    While I was at MAC a few months back, the MA tried it on me, together with Studio Fix Powder and some blush. I ended up buying the Studio Fix Powder and a blush.

    A few hours later after I got home I started noticing tiny zits all over my face. Initially I thought it was the Studio Fix Powder. So I decided to wait it out and not use it and then try again to see if it happened again.
    I had those weird zits for a week to 10 days.

    I tried the Studio Fix Powder after my skin cleared up and nothing happened.

    Long story short, I think it was the primer. Or it could have been bacteria in the brushes. I really don't know.

    But I am staying away from the primer for sure.

    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. hun my skin did the exact same thing with macs prep and prime got lots of little bumps everywhere so i gave my prep & prime to my sister but she doesnt get the little bumps its weird
    one i stopped using it they all went so i knew it was deffo frm tht as 'as u said all my skincare routine i used my skin is used to '

    so it is frm the prep and prime hun

    eloise xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the SPf Face protect and I have had no trouble until recently. This week I got a major breakout on my chin. I hope its not the primer becauseI love it
    :(
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ all - bit worrying to see it has broke you all out! maybe i won't risk it and leave the damn primer alone :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happened with me aswell.. I sometimes get like massive pimples on my cheek, but only one at a time. A used this for a week, and it started making my whole cheek all bumpy, and my FOREHEAD too, and I never get pimples on my forehead, its always smooth!
    Eh, it wasn't worth it anyways, the prep and prime, not only makes my skin bumpy, but also makes me oily :) But thats cos I have oily skin, and the SA didnt really recommend the product, cos it doesnt control oil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many people have breakouts due to primers because of the silicone unfortunately. Sucks :(. I have the SPF 50 one but give up on the others!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my lordy I am so staying away from this, from your review and all these comments yikes! That sucks so bad though, maybe you could sell it on ebay?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brought on the worst breakout I've ever had! It's a shame because I loved the subtle shimmer and the initial smoothing effect. By the end of the day it also seemed quite drying as well. I had JUST bought it too... total bummer.

    Jillicious Cosmetics

    ReplyDelete